Saturday, December 27, 2014

Walking


Our new thrill is watching Dax learn to walk! He is making so much progress every day, and magical is honestly the best description. This clip might not show that, but it makes us laugh. I made the mistake of trying to video him walking, but he got distracted by the camera - as you can see. (This clip was also a few weeks ago and doesn't *truly* show him walking. Clearly.)

I predicted he would be walking by Christmas, and he was. This makes me feel like, 'hey I really do have some mom instinct.' The other thing that boosted my confidence as a mom, and will probably sound really silly, was seeing him play with his Christmas gifts. Explanation: I deliberated over what to buy Dax, and finally decided on a tunnel, and he LOVES it. When his grandparents asked what to get him, I suggested a little car/walker ... which he also loves. 

I know it is silly, but it made me proud. I spend a lot of time feeling like I am sucking at this mom thing that I felt like I got thrown into. But I am making progress. I know Dax really, really well and I am learning how to be a good mom one day at a time - just like every other mom out there. And it's all going to be okay. :) 

Tonight I was talking to Lance about how amazing it is how much you learn as a parent. (One tiny example: the task of dining out with a baby. Before Dax, we had no idea what it entailed or how to make it work. Now we're in the groove of it - experience really is a great teacher.) It happens so quickly that you don't realize the volume of "information" you're processing and putting into practice.  Life is really amazing. We are all raised by people who don't know what they're doing, but they figure it out one day at a time ... and so do we. 

No comments: