Thursday, December 11, 2014

favorite names

I love names. Biblical, traditional, classic, family, new or quirky. Hearing what people name their babies is one of my favorite things in life. That may sound like an exaggeration, but I don't think it is. The stories behind how names were chosen are so fun. I even like hearing what people name their pets, and I come up with great dog and animal names on a regular basis.

I love Dax's name, and I love that he probably won't be one of several Dax's at his school or job. I was the only Chelsea in my class, and I liked having a name that was different but not TOO crazy.

We all have different (and usually strong) opinions when it comes to what qualifies as a "crazy" name, so I'm finally figuring out that there is no better time to not say anything at all than when it comes to your negative opinion of names. 

When we chose his name, I fully anticipated people thinking that it was a weird name. And I was fine with that because:

1) Wouldn't be the first or last time people would find something about me weird.
2) Lance and I both loved it.
3) Strong meaning. (Leader.)
4) Easy to spell and pronounce. 


Being a substitute teacher reiterated the importance of "easy to pronounce" as a factor in choosing names. I felt so bad when I would mispronounce the students names, but they would always be quick to respond, "It's okay. Nobody knows how to say it." Heartbreaking!


As it turns out, Dax is difficult for some people to pronounce. Maybe you get that with any name? But what I did not anticipate at all was everyone asking, "Is it short for something?" It is not, and I'm unsure what Dax would be short for, Stranger in the Grocery Store. (This also creates a stalemate in conversation. How do I breeze past this?)

To me it seemed like a hassle to give someone a name and call them something else their whole life anyway, but formal names are really important to a lot of people.


A chapter in Freakonomics gave one of the most interesting commentaries on how our names affect us, including some evidence that suggests our name can affect our school performance and career opportunities. 

In the south, I noticed that carrying on family names was a big thing. Calling people by their first and middle name is another thing that seemed to be more popular in the south. (Emma Jane, Dean Thomas, etc.)  Although my grandmother is from Pennsylvania and she has always been Mary Alice - never just one or the other. What would you say is important in names where you are from? 




Here are the top 100 baby names for 2014 - so many great ones. 

I love Harper (#19), and have an adorable step-niece who wears her name perfectly. I was a fan of Molly (#64), but Lance was not - mostly due to an annoying dog named Molly that he knew. (And I knew a lot of Molly dogs too, so that was out.) Colton (#56) is one of my fave boys names on the list, and I have a great cousin with that name. I like Easton (#94) too, and was surprised it wasn't higher on this list because I meet a lot of little Eastons.

What are your favorites?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know this is one of my favorite topics as well! I have a list going for the next baby (that is only 2ish years away :)) We will be keeping the name secret, like you did with Dax, for the next one! Since that is a ways from now (and I change my mind so often) I will throw some of my favorites out there... Girl: Reagan, Remington (Remy), Shiloh Boy: Owen, Waylon (more for a middle name), Carter, and Branson

By the way Dax is a Kindergarten Teachers Dream! Easy to spell and read! He will also feel super cool with an X in his name on X week :)

Unknown said...

Loves: (50) Gabriella (Gabby),
(86) Caroline- But I was always afraid people would call her Carolyn, instead of Car-o-LINE. Hence, Karolina. :) (14) Benjamin. LOVE. always will. Names were always super, super hard for us. We NEVER agreed. EVER. It was always someone giving in. :/

Funny. ALL of Meg's kids names are on the list. ;)) Just sayin.