Sunday, June 7, 2015

recently read for june 7, 2015

Down Came the Rain
By Brooke Shields
This was a spontaneous library pickup. I feel like this book would be like salt on an open wound for readers with postpartum depression who can't afford a nanny, live-in help, vacations, etc. It's like she doesn't even realize her luxurious lifestyle is a completely foreign universe to most mothers. It was good to read a first-hand perspective from someone who went through PPD, but overall disappointing and un-relatable on many levels.



We Were Liars
By E. Lockhart
Hated it. Certainly a page turner, but in a weird way. Young adult fiction about a wealthy family that reads almost like a mystery.



The Hardest Peace
By Kara Tippetts
You've already heard me talk about how AMAZING this book was, and I highly recommend it to every mama. (I'm not sure if I would have appreciated it as much pre-motherhood? Probably just in a different way.) Cried so much. Her writings and insight are incredible. One of the best books I've read in awhile!




Daring Greatly
By Brene Brown
Brene Brown is one of my favorite writers because she researches things that I've thought about but never could quite put into words. Her findings are encouraging, challenging, and just very interesting.  The chapter on vulnerability in parenting stuck out to me the most, probably because that's my main realm of influence right now. A great book!



This Is The Story of a Happy Marriage
By Ann Patchett
A collection of essays by a very successful writer. (It is not a book about marriage, but there is a small section on hers.) This book gets a lot of hype from writers, and while I can see that she is clearly great at the craft of writing ... I wasn't moved by what she wrote. Found the content kinda blah, but there was some sparkle here and there.



Some Things You Keep
By JJ Landis
A wonderful memoir by a local (if you're from Lancaster) writer. Starts with her mother committing suicide when she was in middle school, and follows her life through many ups and downs, and into an awesome future of figuring out who she is. I really, really liked it. (Feel free to borrow my copy, I got it signed at her library release.)


What are you reading? I'd ask for recommendations but I'm in the middle of one, and STILL need to pick up the next book club book. (Luckily this is for the world's most laidback and enjoyable book club, phew.) But I have an ongoing "to read" list (I love listmaking) so please do share anything that you've read and loved.

No comments: