Monday, January 5, 2015

Recently Read for January 5, 2014

Children of the Day: 1 and 2 Thessalonians
By Beth Moore
Meaty, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe her study of James got me so good that nothing else can compare?

Bringing Up Boys
By Dr. James Dobson
This was the first time I read a book by Dobson, but I feel like I've read more by him because of all the radio talks and magazines. It is solid, and inspired me as a mom of a son. The statistics and truth he shares are interesting. It gets a bit intense and forced me to think through things instead of taking his opinion on everything.

The Prayer That Changes Everything
By Stormie Omartian
Sometimes books you pick up at yard sales end up blowing everything else on your reading list out of the water. Excellent, encouraging read that challenged me in the best way.


The Light Between Oceans
By M.L. Stedman
This story was outside my usual realm of reading, and it was captivating. A couple finds a baby that washes up in a boat while they are living alone on an island as lighthouse caretakers. The female lead drove me crazy, and I was not a fan of the ending ... but it was nice to read something different.

Unbroken
By Laura Hillenbrand
EVERYONE: READ THIS BOOK. Hands down the most amazing true story I've ever read! The author is brilliant for the way she researched and put this together, and Louie Zamperini is amazing beyond my comprehension for his strong will and all that he accomplished and endured. Captivating, beautiful, and all the good words you can think of. (And all of this from a girl who never reads "war stories." But it's way more than a war story - can't judge those covers.)



Carry On, Warrior
By Glennon Doyle Melton
Hilarious compilation of wonderful essays about her life and life in general. (Ranging from alcoholism, parenting, marriage, adopting dogs, and beyond.) Not something I'd recommend to everyone, but her essays on parenthood were my personal faves. And if you're all about honesty and putting yourself out there, you'd probably like this. 

No comments: