Wednesday, February 19, 2014

recently read for february 19, 2014

Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care
Haven't read it cover-to-cover, but finished the bulk of it and loved her approach - basic guidelines that are simple and to the point. I'll be better able to gage how solid her advice is once baby arrives.


The Silver Star
By Jeannette Walls
I love Jeannette Walls' voice and writing. Her memoir, The Glass Castle, is one of my all-time favorite books. (Half Broke Horses was great too.) This novel is about two sisters raised by a free spirit of a mom who comes and goes as she wishes, leaving them to take a bus across the country to stay with relatives in West Virginia. Their adventures in the small town in the 1960s make for a fun, quick read.


Boundaries
By Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
People have been telling me this was a great book for years. Even while I was reading it, people would see it and say - 'Ooh that's a great book!' I generally don't have trouble saying no, so that chunk of the book was not necessarily insightful to me … but other chunks were WOW-worthy. A great read for anyone, because they give profound and practical help and explanations for all sorts of relationships. You will learn something helpful. Unless every relationship in your life is already absolutely perfect. Highly recommend.


Calling Me Home
By Julie Kibler
SO RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. The kind of novel that you hit a certain point, and don't want to stop reading until you're finished. It weaves the story of the friendship of an old white woman and younger black woman in the present day, with the older woman's interracial love story set in the 1940s. A smidge reminiscent of The Help (one of my favorite books and movies), but maybe even better?!


Why Revival Tarries
By Leonard Ravenhill
Powerful and convicting! I strongly encourage you to read it if you have any desire to be inspired. If I listed all of my favorite excerpts I'd end up quoting the entire book - it is that excellent. Just a few gems …

"The secret of praying is praying in secret. A sinning man will stop praying, and a praying man will stop sinning."

"He who fears God fears no man. He who kneels before God will stand in any situation. A daily glimpse at the Holy One would find us subdued by His omnipresence, staggered by His omnipotence, silenced by His omniscience, and solemnized by His holiness. His holiness would become our holiness."

"If we displease God, does it matter whom we please? If we please Him, does it matter whom we displease?"


On Becoming Babywise
By Gary Ezzo and Robert Buckham
I wanted to like this book … and I did, but I didn't. Their guidelines might be a little too "Type A" for my personality. I like the general idea, but it was overwhelming. I liked the first chapter about prioritizing your marriage best. Apparently this book is very controversial - like just about every other parenting book out there? ;)

No comments: