Thursday, January 23, 2014

winter olympics and preparing for childbirth

These commercials are the best.
Makes me so excited for the winter olympics … and to be a mom!



A few days after I posted about strangers not commenting on my belly size, a stranger on the sidewalk yelled, "OH MY GOSH IS IT TWINS?! … WHAT?! Girl, that is a BIG baby! Congratulations!" 

Less than an hour later a man said, "Any day now, huh?" I absentmindedly said yeah, because I had no idea what he was talking about, but then I said, "Actually no, not until February 16." His eyes got huge and he said, "Woooooo, my. Bless your heart!"

The other night Lance was picking something to read the baby from the Bible and I told him to read from where I was in my chronological Bible, because I hadn't read yet for that day. (I just started reading through the Bible chronologically this year, and I'm loving the fresh perspective - highly recommend it.) Naturally it was Genesis 22 - where Abraham is tested and takes Isaac up the mountain to kill him. We both looked at each other and could not stop laughing. Definitely not a Bible story that comes to mind to read your baby, but nonetheless he heard it. Here's to a baby who will live with radical obedience like Abraham.

We had our first of two "Preparing for Childbirth" classes this week. I debated taking any class at all, because so many people said childbirth classes aren't that great, and to skip it. So instead of taking it through the hospital, we did it at this amazing birth resource center where I go for prenatal yoga.

I loved it and am so glad we chose to go there. Our teacher is a doula, her husband is military, and they have four kids - including twins. She was telling us about one of her twins being just like her, and such a little punk. "She loves to do this thing where she pretends to be asleep, but she's not …"

Lance and I looked at each other and cracked up, because one of my favorite things to do (not sure why I'm admitting this on the internet) is to pretend I fell asleep. I used to do it to my mom all the time (not just as a kid, but all the way through college), and I still love doing it to Lance.

I considered telling her that I pull the exact same trick as her four-year-old daughter, but I had already made her laugh enough when I told her that I had learned one of the relaxation techniques she mentioned from an American Girl book. She said that was the best thing she'd heard all day. ;) 

The technique is to tighten/clench all of the muscles in your body and then release them one by one. It was in American Girl's Care and Keeping of You book, which I used as an exhaustive resource when I was 12. 

I am thinking baby will arrive on Valentine's Day … or be a week late.

I will be surprised if he weighs less than eight pounds.

Lance was 8lbs 8oz, and I was 10lbs 2 oz, sooo we'll see.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i am laughing outloud. when people approached me and told me things like, "anyday now", i would chuckle and just say, yep...anyday...whether i had 2 MONTHS or i was overdue...it just made me feel better about people saying dumb things. AND...i want to be a doula. really, really bad. :)) AND...8 pound babies are perfect. i had a 7 something, 9- 8 somethings, and 1- 9 something. i was HUGELY not a fan of the 9 something coming out, so i am REALLY, REALLY optimistic that yours is not a 10 pounder. your mom is a rock star!!! :)))) happy birthing...i cannot WAIT to see him, and hear about your whole experience. xo.

Unknown said...

oops...i mean 3- 8 somethings, not 9. eeeekkkkk. sorry.

Heather Buckwalter said...

ha! this had me cracking up! especially the sleeping thing. are you and mark related? i have some stories to tell you next time we hang out! :)
looking forward to meeting you new little bundle! so excited to see you be a mama!