Sunday, June 6, 2010

catholics

"I think the essence of Catholicism is beautiful. . . . What I would love to see is for Catholicism to survive this, so that true Catholicism can shine." [sinead o'connor]

i found this article about sinead o'connor and her ever evolving relationship with the catholic church to be very interesting ... http://http//www.politicsdaily.com/2010/06/01/sinead-oconnor-pop-star-mom-is-an-unlikely-prophet-for-a-scand/?hpid=artslot&sms_ss=facebook. i don't really listen to sinead now, but i remember taking her CD into elementary school music class because when i was growing up i was always determined to be different in my music taste, cooler than everyone else bringing in their nsync, backstreet boys and britney spears. of course my music teacher loved me for it, so maybe i was just a suckup? even in high school i was weird about making sure i liked "cool" music, but by then it backfired because one of my teachers got into an ongoing music discussion with me that always seemed to be more about hitting on me than it was about music, but who knows ... i'm just thankful i grew out of that phase and listen to whatever i want now.

what i also found interesting ... and was intending to write about before my mind wandered down musical memory lane, oops ... was that after reading the article i naturally ended up working with a bunch of people tonight who "randomly" started talking about growing up catholic. they all hated it and agreed that they were going to hell now. it's in a half joking half serious kind of way, and with a totally different view of hell than me. to them hell is almost a better option, because it allows them to do whatever they want now. plus church is so miserable that they won't be missing anything in hell anyway. to me ... hell is the complete absence of the presence of God. i know God and love His presence. i never want to be someplace that He is not. let alone be trapped there for eternity. such a daunting thought.

my heart is heavy for people who haven't experienced the presence of God, or aren't aware of it ... who don't understand that He is a good God ... who have only experienced religion and equated that with who the Lord is. i'm glad He put this on my heart and i'm encouraged by sinead o'connor's boldness. obviously i'm not catholic or endorsing catholicism, but God is our redeemer and i'm excited to see Him redeem all of His people.

No comments: