Monday, April 5, 2010

rewind: seattle

i took an amazing trip over spring break to seattle to visit ashley, one of my best friends from YWAM. it was so good reminiscing about our time in nepal - wearing the same three outfits for months, being the only ones on our team to take showers everyday (ice cold ones with frozen shampoo), bartering with sherpa storekeepers who ripped white girls like us off (the best time being me on my knees in a store pleading for a cheaper price for a northfake raincoat while ashley peed her pants), trekking, giving out Bibles, stress-eating (10 pancakes for breakfast anyone?) and thinking nightly situps would balance it out, around the clock prayer times ...

we talked about how we probably wouldn't have been friends with anyone on our team had we not been stuck together for outreach, but we grew to love our whole team like family. (and still do!) i think that's one of the many beautiful things about YWAM. church, in my experience, hasn't yielded many great relationships for me. (if anything, i feel invisible at church and leave depressed.) in YWAM however, you're living with people and loving them for who they are. not because they fit into your categories or preferred tastes, just because you have a common love for the Lord and shared experiences of His presence. i treasure my YWAM relationships and still get homesick for both seasons of my life spent in YWAM.

i LOVED seattle. i could see myself living there, but then again i could see myself living in most of the places i visit. the sky's not even the limit when we follow a God in whom nothing is impossible, so we'll see!
















3 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for that great advice on my blog...i think i am going to print it out, and sit it by his cereal bowl in the morning...what do ya think? :)

looks like a fun trip. sorry to hear about your "church" experiences...that is not my experience now...but it was at one time...what can we do about that...

have a great week. p.s. meg's wanting me to do a half marathon with her...are ya in? :) missy.

not your ordinary anything said...

i can only imagine what he'd say to those ideas, but go for it, haha. and i am so in for a half marathon with you two. that's awesome you guys are doing it!

Heather Buckwalter said...

Hey Chelsea...I just spent awhile looking through your blog. I had not realized you were still blogging. You are such a great writer and I had to laugh at a some of the things you wrote because I could see myself in them and others because you have a great sense of humor! :)
Thanks so much for the super encouraging note! It blessed us so much and seemed to come at just the right time! So thanks again and we would love to connect with you again. When are you coming for dinner?
have a great one!
Heather