Sunday, April 18, 2010

feelings do not define truth

"My feelings are not God. God is God. My feelings do not define truth. God's word defines truth. My feelings are echoes and responses to what my mind perceives. And sometimes--many times--my feelings are out of sync with the truth. When that happens--and it happens every day in some measure--I try not to bend the truth to justify my imperfect feelings, but rather, I plead with God: Purify my perceptions of your truth and transform my feelings so that they are in sync with the truth. That's the way I live my life every day. I hope you are with me in that battle." [John Piper]

a good word, hey? last night at work it was ridiculously crowded. instead of thinking any number of normal things like 'maybe i'm claustrophobic' or 'this is great for business' ... okay, i can't even come up with another "normal" reaction to it, but i'll tell you mine. it made me think about heaven. and how there are going to be sooo many people there that i might not like it. and i told God that i hope there is a special heaven for introverts. so it's definitely a good thing feelings (especially mine) do not define truth ...

3 comments:

Surah said...

hahaha I love this. Let's not get too "personal" chexy.. last night was hilarious, I love that we have the same personal space issues :)

Beth said...

I love this - such a good quote! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog the other day!

listsfromacollegegirl.blogspot.com

Jaime Lee said...

very good word, something to be reminded of each and every day..thanks!