Saturday, November 15, 2008

breathing again

What a week! I finally understood why the SBFM is cracked up to be such an exhausting endeavor. That was mostly due to my own procrastination, but apparently everyone else did the same thing because we were all acting like zombies. Our worldview projects were due this week. Each group was responsible for a two hour presentation on an assigned worldview as well as an extensive written report. (Plus our usual reading & Bible reading & community assignments.) My group presented on New Age last night and it went really well.

New Age is incredibly interesting to me, and the more I learned about it the more I realized how much it was God's hand for me to research this topic. Their beliefs have permeated American culture and I had no idea how much of it I was buying into! I loved watching Oprah whenever I went to the gym or had days off work. I'd heard she was kinda kooky but rolled my eyes at people for being overly critical. She calls herself a Christian but mixes it with New Age. No wonder New Age is so prevalent in the world when one of the most influential people alive is pushing it to an open audience for an hour every weekday. New Age beliefs aren't harmless like they may come across to be.

Even scarier was learning about Marxism and how much America is shifting toward communism. Those examples were jaw-dropping - to say the least. We also learned about Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and Secular Humanism. Tons of great information. Tons of reasons to worship God all the more.
A few weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night and thought it was storming outside, but realized it wasn't raining. (I've never seen lightning in Maui or even heard thunder.) It was the sound of the ocean! It's like living a dream ... waking up to the ocean ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't worry. God won already! We have victory over all of this!

Sarah said...

beautiful picture chelsea...what an amazing view to wake-up to in the morning...i'm a little jealous ;)! new age...what an interesting topic to research, i think i would enjoy researching that too...! i miss you! so wish i could visit you in hawaii right now!