Tuesday, October 21, 2014

recently read for october 2014

Books are one of my favorite things to write about, but it has been a long time since my last post on what I've read. Dax doesn't exactly nap enough for me to get a whole lot of reading in these days, but I try. Here's what I've finished in the last eight months ...


Praying Through Your Pregnancy
By Jennifer Polimino and Carolyn Warren
Loved reading a chapter for each week of my pregnancy! Awesome prayers. Great book.


The Gifts of Imperfection
By Brene Brown
Brene Brown's TED talk on vulnerability is fantastic, and that is what prompted me to want to read her books. A bit too touchy-feely at first. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it was hard for me to concentrate and really get into her style of writing. And then ... I did. AND I LOVED IT. One of my all-time favorite reads!

Praying Circles Around Your Children
By Mark Batterson
Quick. Packs a punch. I took away one specific prayer that I continue to pray over Dax daily.


The Nesting Place
By Myquillyn Smith
I want to gift this book to every woman that I know. Her perspective is so freeing and inspiring. It frees you up to decorate however you want to, and to just do it. Try things. Go for it. This book definitely got my creative juices flowing. I want to be friends with Myquillyn. Her biggest statement: it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. (Can everyone please get on board with this? Love it.)


A Million Little Ways
By Emily Freeman
A divine read. Another one that got my creative juices flowing, as Emily encourages readers to see the beauty and creativity in almost everything. I'd like to be friends with Emily too. (She and Myquillyn are sisters!)


Me Before You
By Jojo Moyes
Stayed up way too late finishing this book the other night, because I could not put it down. (I love when you get to that part in a book, and you know you're not going to sleep until you finish!) Story about a girl in her twenties who needs a job, takes one as a caregiver for a quadriplegic, and finds out a secret that changes everything. (Hint: the secret ties in well with the current media storm over assisted suicide.)


What about you, friends ... finish reading anything great lately? 
(Any mediocre or terrible reads would be good to alert me about too.)

1 comment:

Heather Buckwalter said...

i have read three out of the five you posted (nesting place, million ways, and the gifts of imperfection...all some of my favorites too). you have good taste, wink wink.