Tuesday, September 10, 2013

recently read for september 10, 2013

The Best of Me
By Nicholas Sparks
I think my Nicholas Sparks fan phase has passed. This story was so similar to his others that I just looked ahead to see who died so I wouldn't be stressed out about it while I read. It's the story of star-crossed high school lovers who break up and go separate ways in life only to reunite and realize neither of their lives panned out as they had hoped. It was still a decent read and toward the end I got sucked in and stayed up too late finishing it. My favorites from Sparks are A Walk to Remember, The Wedding and The Notebook.


Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander
By Phil Robertson
Such an awesome, quick read! We love watching Duck Dynasty. Phil Robertson has an amazing life story and his work ethic and strong faith are what stuck out to me in his book, along with his love for family. The story of how he worked his way from humble beginnings and created a thriving business is very motivating. His testimony and the way he is able to so naturally incorporate his love and respect for God into everything is awesome too.


Confessions of a Raging Perfectionist
By Amanda Jenkins
I read this as part of a small group at my church, thinking maybe I could relate to perfectionism.  But nope, not so much.  I felt like the author wanted to believe what she was advising her readers in regards to getting rid of perfectionism, but she didn't yet, so it wasn't convincing. But that's just me - our group leader was enthralled with it.


My Foot is Too Big for the Glass Slipper
By Gabrielle Reece
LOVED this book and could not put it down! A short, easy read that is raw and honest and right up my alley. Reece is a former pro volleyball player and supermodel. (I wouldn't know who she was except that we were once both having coffee in the same cafe in Maui and the friend I was with explained her fame.) She gives it to ya straight in this book and I'd love to be friends with her in real life. The opening  is about how silly the concept of "happily ever after" is because 1) who does that actually happen to? and 2) would you really want your wedding to be the climax of your life with no grand adventures after that or obstacles to overcome? She talks about fitness, marriage, parenting, and making the most of life. It's different from anything I've read - not an autobiography but not quite self-help.


Looking for Alaska
By John Green
Good book - quick read and very different. It is young adult fiction and felt much more like young adult fiction than Green's bestselling novel, The Fault in our Stars. Miles goes to boarding school in Alabama in search of adventure really, and he certainly finds it in the friends he makes. It's a coming of age story with a big twist I did not see coming, and a very thoughtful ending.


The Circle Maker
By Mark Batterson
I was tickled to find this at a yard sale since our pastor had preached a series based off this book and highly recommended it. The girl at the yard sale told me it changed her life and would change mine. It is excellent, but halfway through it started getting a bit repetitive. Still left me challenged to pray BIGGER and more specific prayers, because when we pray vague prayers we really don't give God a chance to answer or our faith a shot at growing. His stories definitely grew my faith and stretched my thinking.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love your book posts. we both read. :))) keep them coming. thanks. :)