Monday, May 14, 2012

lovely weekend, lovely mom

i had a lovely weekend. my mother's day gift to my mom was our shopping trip for wedding dresses. just kidding that wasn't my gift to her, accompanying me was more like her gift to me. it was a lot of fun trying on designer gowns and being in a room full of women (random strangers and employees) telling you that you're beautiful and have a great body.

my salesgirl seemed a bit perplexed by my vigorous head shaking and "no thanks" at her offer to get me a pair of heels to try on with all of the dresses. i quickly referred her to this blog entry. (jokes, i didn't. i rarely share my blog with anyone, which i know totally defeats the purpose.)

the first few i tried on i was really disappointed with. i thought i looked butch. don't ask me how that's possible in a wedding dress. i began to understood why women go on diets before their wedding. but don't worry, i ate a bunch of pasta before i went (while i was scarfing it down i said, "what a bride, huh mom?" ... she knows i need my energy to shop.) and we got chipotle burritos afterward. so when i say i understand why, that simply means that now i sort of vaguely understand - not that i have any intentions of changing my eating habits. or even full comprehension of girls and diets. or of brides and feeding tubes, which is disturbing and pathetic.

once i got into some really good dresses i started enjoying myself even more. there are so many beautiful gowns, i wish i had more occasions to dress up! i found "the one" and ordered it ... so now i really just want to get married already.

i'm so glad my mom and i got to shop for the dress together, and i'm so glad for my mom in general. there is no one i would rather take wedding dress shopping, or any kind of shopping. mother's day is a great reminder to thank her for everything. she is an easy person to thank because she does so very much for me and for everyone in her life. she is an extraordinary mother and woman.

i want to play this song at my wedding. carrie underwood wrote it for her mom at her own wedding. i love the part about finding the answer to her mom's prayers, because i have felt my mom's prayers my whole life and they mean the world to me. and God certainly answered whatever she prayed for my future husband, because lance is more than i ever dreamed of. thank you for everything mom - i love you!



"Mama, you taught me to do the right things.
So, now you have to let your baby fly.
You've given me everything that I will need.
To make it through this crazy thing called life.
And I know you watched me grow up,
and only want what's best for me.
And I think I found the answer to your prayers.
And he is good, so good.
He treats your little girl, like a real man should ..."
[carrie underwood]

No comments: