Wednesday, June 15, 2011

JOY

joy is the theme of my life lately. does God ever speak to you in themes? i can't really explain it but He does that with me and the theme right now is joy. a good one, yeah? this joy thing keeps confronting me and i love it.

i was hanging out with my friend sarah's mom, patti, aka marsha, (we both have ridic nicknames for our moms, we were so destined to be friends. so few people understand this nickname thing, just like so few people understand the humor of "the sea willows" aka becky, sarah and chelsea.) and she gave me the *best* devotional book. i'm not usually a fan of daily devotionals, but when patti read me the one for the day when we were talking and it spoke DIRECTLY to my life i was impressed and as i continue reading the book i'm amazed at the way God speaks to me through every page.

the book is "God Calling," written by two anonymous women who call themselves 'two listeners' in lieu of being recognized. the insight is profound, challenging, encouraging, and simply excellent in every way. the one patti read me initially was so perfect, one of those kisses from God reminding me how much He loves me. those are always good.

she gave me a copy and later i had to flip it to december 16 - my birthday. i think this is a youngest child thing. i'm only saying that because once i was in an airport, browsing in a bookstore and i picked up "the birth order" book by dr. kevin leman. i flipped straight to the chapter on youngest children. and it started off with something like 'i'm onto you, youngest children. you haven't even read the rest of this book. you just opened it right to this chapter written about you ...' gasp! how did he know me so well?! who knew that being a youngest child would shape so much of my personality? that book is still on my reading list, obviously the dude's got some serious insight.

so whether i did it because i'm a youngest or not, i like to think that if an author can predict my reading habits, then God can too - and He knew exactly when i'd be flipping to december 16 in "God Calling." and december 16 is titled "what joy is." of course it is. because i'm a daughter of the Most High God, the Creator of the universe, and He adores me. i love being loved by Him. i love that He speaks to me.

so i don't know if God speaks to you in themes ... or is speaking to you about joy or not ... but i hope that this nugget of truth and wisdom encourages you like it did me and that the God of hope fills you with all JOY through the power of His Spirit ...

"You shall have my joy. But Life right now for you both is a march - a toilsome march ... The Joy will come, but for the moment do not think of that, think simply of the march. Joy is the reward ...

Between My Promise of the Gift of Joy to My disciples and their realization of that Joy came sense of failure, disappointment, denial, desertion, hopelessness, then hope, waiting, and courage in the face of danger.

Joy is the reward of patiently seeing Me in the dull dark days, of trusting when you cannot see ... Joy is as it were your heart's response to My smile of recognition of your faithfulness ...

Stop thinking your lives are all wrong if you do not feel it ... Remeber you may not yet by joyous, but you are brave, and courage and unselfish thought for others are sure signs of true discipleship as Joy." [from "God Calling"]

No comments: