Saturday, May 8, 2010

snakes

snakes make my toes curl up and i sprint away in complete fear even if someone just tells me a snake might be there. and if i'm out for a run and see a dead one, i run faster because they still give me the creeps. i told myself this would be the summer i'd overcome my fear of snakes, and in saying that i was kind of scared that something bad would happen and i'd really HAVE to face it. (like people telling you if you pray for patience, God will give you plenty of "opportunities.") amidst all the promises for miracles, the things Jesus said about snakes challenge me the most.

"I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you." [Luke 10:19]

"And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." [Matthew 16:17-18]

so the other weekend when my mom told me she saw FOUR snakes outside, what did i do? i did not wash my car that was parked outside ready to be washed. i did however, check it paranoidly when i left for work, because i'd left the windows down and was afraid a snake may have slithered in. (pathetic, i know.) then i was telling God that i really want to marry a man who will
kill snakes for me. (and not make fun of me for being afraid of them.) i wondered how unreasonable this was, considering that i believe fear is sin and we should not succomb to walking in it.

i think i got my "answer" when i started reading "so long insecurity" by beth moore. i love the way she writes. she talked about walking out in her ranch with her ipod blaring, one hand raised up praising God, and a shotgun in the other - because her husband taught her how to shoot rattlesnakes! what a brilliant solution! so i'm curious to see if i end up with a man who is patient enough to teach me how to shoot (that's a LOT of patience & a lot of faith in me, eek!), or one who will just kill every snake in a five mile vicinity. then again maybe we'll live in hawaii where there are no snakes. i love how every option sounds good when i try to see things from the Lord's perspective ...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh...i loved that in the book too. i cracked up. oh, how my husband longs for me to be that kinda woman. as for his patience in teaching me to shoot a snake. we haven't tried it...but i doubt it. it's hard enough for me to hit a TARGET.
i would have to look really good in those boots. :) missy.

not your ordinary anything said...

missy i can't hit a target either! we should practice sometime and buy ourselves nice boots ... even if we're still terrible, haha.

Unknown said...

chels...absoultely! bankin on the boots. still praying...I haven't forgotton yet. :) mis.